About the stream
This activity stream brings Journey data, email activity, and more into Heap. You can connect to Heap in Settings:
Please note that youy should only use this activity stream if you identify users in Heap using their email address and use the same email in Autopilot for a given user.
For those of you that identify users in Heap using something other than email, Heap is planning to release a resolution service this quarter that will allow them to accept activities with different user identifiers and automatically associate them with the correct user.
What activities are streamed to Heap?
- Email sent
- Email opened
- Email clicked
- Email replied
- Email unsubscribed
- Email bounced
- Email deferred
- Email reported spam
- Transactional email sent
- Transactional email opened
- Transactional email clicked
- Transactional email replied
- Transactional email unsubscribed
- Transactional email bounced
- Transactional email deferred
- Transactional email reported spam
- Headsup shown
- Headsup opened
- Headsup responded
- Headsup dismissed
- Postcard sent
- SMS sent
Lists and Segments
- Added to list
- Removed from list
- Entered smart segment
- Left smart segment
- Form submitted
- Entered journey
- Ejected from journey
How do I define an activity in Heap?
In Heap (which refers to activities as "Events"), go to the Events tab, then click "Custom" and search for one of the events listed above:
If you wish to do so, you can then filter by any of the following properties:
- Actor Id: identifier for the person or thing performing the activity. Currently supports contacts only.
- Actor Type: type of actor performing the activity. Currently supports contacts only.
- Journey Id: ID of the Journey within which the activity took place.
- Journey Name: name of the Journey within which the activity took place.
- Shape Id: ID of the Journey shape within which the activity took place.
- Object Id: identifier for the object on which the activity is being performed.
- Object Name: name of the object on which the activity is being performed.
- Object Type: type of object being acted on, for example an email or Journey.
- URL: optional URL associated with the activity. Currently supports email only.
- Goal Id: ID of the Insights goal within which the activity took place.
- Goal Name: name of the Insights goal within which the activity took place.
For example, you could define an event based on who clicked a specific email by filtering on the "Object Name" property, as demonstrated below:
You could use this same approach to define an event for when a contact is added to a specific list:
If you'd like to create an event based on a specific Journey, filter on the "Journey Name" property. For example, here's how you could define an event based on who entered a specific Journey:
You can then graph these events in Heap, or use them as the basis of funnels or segments.
Example Use Cases
Below are some example use cases that utilize Heap's funnel feature. By selecting "Group By" and then selecting a relevant property, Heap allows you to compare the performance of the funnel across a series of objects (for example, emails or Journeys).
Which journeys have the biggest impact on paid conversions?
Will produce the following output:
What email content has the biggest impact on paid conversions?
Will produce this funnel:
Which initial UTM sources drive the most new leads?
Will produce this funnel: