What does the tracking code do?
The tracking code allows you to:
- see the web pages that both anonymous and known contacts visit;
- measure marketing campaign performance by tracking UTM parameters;
- create smart segments and trigger Journeys based on the web pages that contacts visit;
- capture forms; and
- show Headsup messages to anonymous and known contacts.
How do I setup the tracking code?
1. Go to Settings
2. Under Tracking Code, click For Web Pages:
3. This will reveal your unique tracking code. It can be used across all of your web properties; for example, your website, landing pages, blog, support site or store. However, note that there is a different tracking code for apps.
4. Copy and paste this code into the <head> tag of every page you want to track. We recommend putting the code on all pages, so you can track and segment your leads more effectively.
If you are familiar with editing your web pages' HTML this step should be familiar. It’s exactly the same steps required to implement Google Analytics on your website. However, if this step is confusing, speak to your web master or system administrator for help.
5. In a new browser window or tab visit a page where you added the tracking code. If the code is working correctly you will see the visit on the Activity Feed:
If you don’t see the visit, check the tracking code has been correctly added to the page with your web master, or contact our support team.
Once you've successfully added the code, learn how visitors go from being anonymous to known.